The Family

The Family

Sunday, January 19, 2014

A Walk In The Woods

We decided to take advantage of this amazing January weather, and took the boys to Ernie Miller today. As a young girl I can remember my dad taking us hiking just about every weekend. As a teenager, I can remember being less than happy about being drug out of bed at the crack of dawn, only to then love every minute of my time with my parents. Even if I'd never let them know it. (Teenage girls suck) I doubt my mom and dad realize how much I cherish those memories, but my weekends in the Shenandoah Mountain Valley are some of my all time favorites. 

Today, I got to start that tradition with my boys. It was magical. We took a walk through the little nature museum at the park, then it was off to the trails. My boys walked along being perfect little boys and doing things little boys do. They picked up sticks, ate leaves (yes, ate), and ran through the sun filled woods. It was the best Sunday I have ever had. 

When I was suffering with the worst of my post partum anxiety, my therapist gave me some advice. And, like the memories from my childhood, I cherish it. It is quite possibly the best advice I have ever gotten. When I was at my worst with my overwhelming anxiety, I never felt like I was "in the moment." My therapist suggested to help with that I take time every hour, or when I'm doing something I know is significant, and think about what I see, feel, smell, and hear. She said to take a minute to take a deep breath and make a mental note of everything around me. 

Today, I took that great advice and enjoyed thoroughly, my day with my boys. I smelled the clean air, saw the sun breaking through the trees and lighting up our wonderful little family. I saw my perfect boys experience things for the first time, like trail walking with sticks and a swing on a vine. I felt the heaviness of my perfect chunky baby on my chest as we walked, the cold clammy hand of my fearless two year old as he tromped along with his hand in mine. I heard the chatter of my boys talking about all the great things they were finding in the woods, and the excitement in Rex's voice as they named the fish we saw. 

Today I got to fully experience my family, fully enjoy my boys and my husband. I got to be completely "in the moment," and it was GRAND!!! 

                Sticks are awesome!

           OD was having a good time!

           "Dad, What's In That Hole?"

          My Handsome Little Explorers

I have always known that I am blessed. That we as a family, are blessed to have each other. Days like today just make it that much more evident how blessed we are. I am so grateful to be able to have days like this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment