The Family

The Family

Thursday, December 19, 2013

God Bless The Robertsons

I wasn't sure I wanted to write this. But, then I realized I needed too. I really can not stand that one group of people uses words like bigot, and racist to try and control the speech and beliefs of others. So,  here is my two cents. Take it for what it is worth.

This whole Phil Robertson spectacle is getting under my skin, in a bad way. I have always been a proud American, we live in a super awesome country folks. It was founded on religious freedom. FOR EVERYONE!!! Phil's religion does not condone, promote or pretend to turn a blind eye to homosexuality. Those are his beliefs, which, thanks to the freedom of speech we are all supposed to enjoy in this country, he has a right to voice. Phil was merely answering a question. If someone asked you, “Do you like bacon?” I am sure you would emphatically defend whatever stance you have on the meat. I myself, love me some bacon. And if you asked me, I'd shout it from the mountain tops.

I am not sure everyone has read word for word what Mr. Robertson said, but he in no way was calling out for the lynch mobs to round up. Regardless of how you feel about homosexuals or transgendered people, in support or against, it is your opinion. You are protected in this country, under our Constitution to have that opinion and voice it as such.

My problem with A&E dumping Phil for his answer to the question he was asked, is this, They knew his beliefs when they started the show. Make no mistakes, I believe that if A&E wishes to not continue a show in which one of its title personalities believes homosexuality is wrong, they have the right to do that. Again, a benefit of the great country we live in. My problem is they knew Phil's faith was strong, his family's faith together was stronger. They knew this amazing, wonderful, loving family LIVES their faith, talks their faith, walks their faith, and yes, preaches their FAITH. A&E knew all of this, made it a central part of their show, and is now having a change of heart and trying to separate themselves from The Robertsons. That is wrong. They are making it look like what Phil said was somehow wrong, somehow dirty and shameful.

I am writing to show my support for Phil, his beautiful family and the faith that they share. No, that does not make me a hate monger, or a homophobe. I personally do not care where you stick your whose its and whats its. But, because of my faith I don't agree with it. I don't force that on people, because it is not my business. And, as Phil said, it isn't up to any of us to judge. There are people in this world speaking out in much more public forums, saying much more disturbing things, and no one bats an eye. No one calls them to the carpet, and they never lose their job. If you'd like the right to be gay, bisexual, or paint your hair purple, than you need to extend that right to Christians, and allow them to voice an assertion based on the teachings of the Bible.

It's a scary world we live in. And you can call me a judgmental snot, or whatever you want. But, I truly believe that the more you remove God and his teachings from our society, the scarier it becomes.


No comments:

Post a Comment